Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 6 years 8 months ago #55040

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2300
From the Cheshire Observer, 27th April 1901: -
Cestrians will be proud to learn that it is owing to the bravery of a Chester man that the West Riding Regiment is able to claim a representative on the recently-published list of D.C.O.'s. His name is Private W. Parry, who is at present in barracks at Mullingar, Ireland. His regiment formed part of the Burma Mounted Infantry, and he earned his D.C.O. at Koorns Spruit. He behaved with conspicuous bravery. First of all he took his comrades some water and returned with ammunition, and then he helped Lieutenant Maxwell, D.S.O. and V.C., to get the guns of Q and U Battery. Having been wounded in the right and left hand, he returned from South Africa in October. When the war is over he expects to return to this, his native city, where he is sure to receive the heartiest congratulations of his relatives and friends. This worthy Cestrian was brought up with his late grandfather, who was one of the tenants of the New Crane-street almshouses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, David Grant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 6 years 8 months ago #55056

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi

Naming on the bronze QSA
Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, David Grant

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 6 years 8 months ago #55067

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
From the Homeward Mail Jan 22nd 1900
" It is probable that some mounted infantry from Burma will be sent to South Africa. The ponies on which they are mounted will probably be found more useful for service than the Waler horses. The Boers are for the most part mounted on ponies of the same stamp"
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 6 years 8 months ago #55068

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
David
From "After Pretoria, the Guerilla War" Vol.II. The caption reads: "A contrast in mounts. Burmese Mounted Infantry on the little Burmese ponies which they brought with them, riding side by side with some of the British cavalry on their splendid chargers".
Regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 6 years 8 months ago #55069

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
In a final analysis, I wonder how the "little Burmese ponies" fared in South Africa compared with the "splendid chargers" of the British cavalry? Also, I wonder if there is any connection between the Burmese ponies and Basuto ponies?

Brett

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 6 years 8 months ago #55116

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
I finally found a roll page for the Burma MI.

It is at the end of WO100/211, the Rifle Brigade roll where the Ceylon and Malta Co MIs are also listed.

The officers on the list are crossed through as I imagine their medals were issued by their parent units.

Images courtesy of The National Archives.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.736 seconds