Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 9 months 1 week ago #67172

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1086
Picture...….

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: exyeoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 9 months 1 week ago #67176

• exyeoman
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Just worked out how the rather quirky insert function works on the forum...and that you mustn't press it more than once!!
Ian

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 9 months 1 week ago #67189

• exyeoman
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Here is another example from the 2nd Essex Regiment contingent in the Burma Mounted Infantry:

Henry MOSS
Who was the Colour Serjeant of this contingent on its arrival in South Africa. I acquired the IGS first (which is scarce to the regiment: only 6 officers and 27 men earned the medal, 2 officers and 18 men with the clasps to which Moss was entitled) and the South African pair popped up on ebay a year later! One Essex Regt officer who had the IGS with 3 clasps served with the Burma Mounted Infantry but Moss' combination of medals is unique.

India General Service Medal 1895 clasp Punjab Frontier 1897-98 (2052 Sergt, 2d Bn Essex Regt; top lugs removed from clasp), QSA clasps Cape Colony, Driefontein, Johannesburg (2052 Colr:–Serjt:, Essex Regt), KSA 2 clasps (2052 Clr:-Serjt:, Essex Regt)

Served with No 11 British Field Hospital – also entitled to clasp Tirah 1897-98
C Sgt with Burma MI company, 2nd Essex

Papers in WO97/5553. Born Christ Church, Ashton under Lyme. Son of William. Enlisted 6 January1887 age 18 6/12, a moulder then belonging to the Artillery Militia. 1st Bn 1887 to Feb 1893, then 2nd Bn. L Cpl Sept 1887, with pay Dec 1888. Cpl Feb 1889, Sgt Aug 1891, C Sgt Jan 1900. Reduced to Sgt in Feb 1903 for going AWOL. Discharged 5 January 1908 – no long service medal. The papers confirm IGS with 2 clasps.
Served India Feb 1893 to Jan 1900
SA Jan 1900 to Dec 1900 and Nov 1901 to October 1902.
Attachments:

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 9 months 6 days ago #67272

• Nemo
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 7
I thought that I would mention that the roll to the 2nd Essex is available on Ancestry, with BMI members annotated accordingly, although members may already be aware of this. I was researching the RMO who came with the main body of the Bn from India, although initially I thought he was with the BMI contingent.

Nemo

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 6.328 seconds