Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 6 years 8 months ago #55117

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
This is a listing from Sotherby's 1982.

Lieut. P. C. Grover, Shropshire L.I. (2), comprising: I.G.S., 1895, 1-clasp, P,F. 1897-98 (2nd Lt.,1st Bn.- regt.off. corrected), Q.S.A., 1899, 2 clasps. C.C., Drief. (Lieut., 2nd Bn.), virtually mint state and toned (2)

P. C. Grover: Born: 1875: Educated at Rugby; joined Shropshire L.I. in 1895; Lieut., 1899.

The North West Frontier, 1897-98: Served under Sir William Lockhart with the Malakand Field Force, including the operations against the Mahmunds, and in Bajour with the Utman Khel column. Afterwards with the Buner Field Force, including the attack on and capture of the Tanga Pass (Medal & clasp).

The S. African War, 1899-1900: He volunteered for service in South Africa with the Burma Mounted Infantry. During the action at Sannah's Post, the guns of 'Q' Bty., Royal Horse Artillery, were left exposed in the open under heavy fire with many horses killed. Some survivors of the battery. led by Major Phipps-Hornby and Captain Humphreys, went out to manhandle the guns back to safety; several members of the Burma Mounted Infantry came forward and volunteered for this dangerous task, including Lieut.
Grover. He was killed whilst saving one of the guns. Mentioned in despatches posthumously by General Broadwood for "conspicuous gallantry" on this occasion, London Gazette, 8 February, 1901 (Queen's medal & 2 clasps).
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 6 years 8 months ago #55128

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Can anyone locate the two OMRS mentions from 2009 that Mike mentioned to see what they say please?
Dr David Biggins

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 6 years 8 months ago #55129

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Sorry David, thought you might have had the journals......
Will look them up again for you......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 6 years 8 months ago #55131

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Here we are David......

I was worried about using the information due to possible copyright......

See P.M.

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 6 years 7 months ago #55450

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I see this QSA sold for R7500/£450.

I did write to City Coins with three queries about items in #68 and received replies to all except this medal.
Dr David Biggins

Burma Mounted Infantry - information sought for its page on this site 5 years 1 month ago #62639

• JBJ
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello djb
I am trying to research a Jack Rogers of the "Essex Company Burma Mounted Infantry"
I noticed you had a photo of a roll page (attached to a post of over a year ago.)
You don't happen to have any details of Jack Roger?
Any information would be gratefully appreciated
best wishes, John

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.449 seconds