Spink auctions 4 years 7 months ago #65098

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Thank you David your hard work is greatly appreciated..... Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spink auctions 4 years 7 months ago #65135

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Some of the QSA's from the Auction have already shown up on ebay at nearly double the auction price.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWB

Spink auctions 4 years 7 months ago #65138

• munroe
  • Thank you received: 47
Dear All

After collecting in SA for over 40 years I have to make a comment about the quantity and quality of the QSA's we now see on the market.

We used to see QSA's every week at local coin dealers and TG's and these small local units were hard to find and dealers had instant buyers. The prices achieved do not represent how difficult they are to find today.

Its impossible to buy a QSA at these levels from the public so I trust collectors will use this opportunity to snap them up. In addition we should salute the man who put this collection together.

I predict that 10 years from now, or even less, we will all look back in disbelief that such items were available and in so much quantity and at these price levels.

However the positive side is that the value of this site to collectors and Boer War enthusiasts in even more invaluable.

Munroe

Spink auctions 4 years 7 months ago #65140

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Munroe,

It has certainly been an amazing couple of years for QSAs and for South African QSAs in particular. The breadth of material has been outstanding and surely as you say this feast cannot continue for too much longer. We must enjoy it while we can for the supply may dry up all too quickly.

The sales have re-focused my attentions on South African units and TGs in particular and that has made for very enjoyable research opportunities.

Best wises
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Spink auctions 4 years 7 months ago #65159

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
David
Thank you for all the work you recently put into recording and analysing QSA records. When I saw the Spink list I thought that a flooded market would leave many Lots unsold, so it is encouraging to see that did not happen.
Regards
Brett

Spink auctions 4 years 7 months ago #65211

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Meurig,
Quite frankly, I buy very little these days, I sometimes wonder why I collect, but, every now and again a chance comes to fill a gap, be it nineteenth or twentieth century, the last QSA I bought was to a member of the 10th Mountain Battery, which had always been missing from my Natal collection, although, I have to say that actually having it is rather an anti-climax when compared to the chase.
Regards Frank

SWB wrote: Indeed, there is always regret at "the one(s) that got away", but IL's buses are a very good coping mechanism.

I find that after buying a medal, which usually follows sufficient research to justify the purchase, you then quickly look ahead to the next purchase before the first medal has even arrived! My current purchase from Spinks are the case in point.

This has led me to wonder why I buy medals when it seems that research is the real stimulant; no one needs to own the medal to do the research and get the satisfaction of uncovering "new" information.

[/quote]

Thanks Frank, yes I can say there is enjoyment and pondering further on being a custodian; I have enjoyed putting mini collections together to illustrate themes; South Wales Borderers, casualties, defenders of Mafeking, British cavalry "odd men", Wepener, O'Okiep. Most of these have been the subject of talks to Sussex Branch OMRS, an enjoyable activity.[/quote]

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.634 seconds