Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 10 months ago #11646

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank,
When I saw the lovely condition of these I could not resist them.
As you say the do sit well and look good in the bookcase.
BTW Erwin has been relegated to the bottom shelf :lol:

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 10 months ago #11650

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Erwin, was a bloody good soldier and a very brave man, but, he was also a wretched hun! :(

coldstream wrote: Frank,

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 10 months ago #11653

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank,
I did not envisage my 1000th post would mention Erwin :lol:

Frank Kelley wrote: Erwin, was a bloody good soldier and a very brave man, but, he was also a wretched hun! :(

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 10 months ago #11655

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Sorry Paul, I just marked the occassion elsewhere in your postcard thread!

I did not envisage my 1000th post would mention Erwin :lol:

Frank Kelley wrote: Erwin, was a bloody good soldier and a very brave man, but, he was also a wretched hun! :(

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 10 months ago #11667

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Forum members
At present I am trawling through Vols. 1 and 2 of "Rhodesia Served the Queen" by A.S. Hickman, printed by the Government Printer, Salisbury in 1970. I ran across the pair at an OXFAM site on AMAZON (I have no connection with either) and the asking was not cheap - but not as swingeing as seen elsewhere. If one cannot treat yourself when on extended leave it is a pretty poor show. Anyway, some of Vol.1 RStQ is a bit heavy going but overall quite good. It is always nice to be able to add a snippet of biographical info to a medal or group one has custody of; such was the case with the trio of Lt.A.FORBES of the Rhodesia Regt illustrated on this splendid site some time ago by Mr. Biggins whilst I was coming to grips with my then brand-new digicam.
Clearly, the value of RStQ relates directly to the interest the reader has in the topic. I like the story of the RofM and also Hickman's relating of the little publicised conflict on the Eastern border of the then Bechuanaland Protectorate. I have not yet got into Vol.2 and expect it to be a good backup to researching or just reading about the subject
Some time ago, I mentioned a recent book which covered some of the territory mentioned in RStQ; this book being "Plumer's Men" by R. Burrell ISBN 13:978-1-920169-55-8. Burrell is rather critical of Hickman's attitude and research; however, I have found both books to be quite useful and generally easy to read.
Coldstream, go easy on us who can only source the reprints! Some of the learned tomes are extremely expensive yet the reprints tell me the same story. I would sooner spend the dough on medals. That bound pair of B@W is very nice, indeed. Not at all easy to get here in OZ; the only bound volume I ever saw (and obtained) contained B@W issues No.1 to Vol.2 no.25 (March, 1900). I have found them to be an interesting take on the ABW as viewed from the Home Front with some little gems here and there.
REgards to all
IL.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 10 months ago #11723

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
I recently congratulated David for finding so many interesting reports on the Boer War from contemporary newspapers. During the past couple of days, I have spent many hours reading through a book compiled by someone else who found newspapers to be of mine of interesting information. The book is:

Letters from Ladysmith by Edward Spiers (Jonathan Ball Publishers, 2010).

Most of the letters were written by soldiers to family and friends and then reproduced in local newspapers and journals. The book is made up of the views of the 'common man', not the generals and historians.

I think it is a fascinating book.

Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.482 seconds