Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 7 months ago #13784

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4529
I saw this book advertised recently.

There is a strange review of it in the Spectator from 1902 which ways:

It is probable, may even be taken for granted, that this story was prepared before the Boer War came to an end. It must be regarded accordingly, and no fault can be reasonably found with it. It is a spirited story—that we are sure to get when Captain Brereton writes—and no one can object if the Britisher has the better of it in the various conflicts of arms and wits that are related. But it may be hoped that for a while the subject will be dropped.

Not sure what that last sentence means?

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 7 months ago #13793

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1540
David
Suggest that the reviewer was referring to the reconciliation needed in the aftermath of the conflict. A good example of that post-conflict genre, in my opinion, can be seen in "Anti-Commando".
Regards
IL.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 7 months ago #13796

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Morning/evening Ian,

That would make sense. Do you think the reviewers were fed up with books on the war by 1902?
Dr David Biggins

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 7 months ago #13798

• LinneyI
  • Away
David
I think your suggestion would have been correct!!!!!! Have been very very busy at work so little opportunity to contribute.
Best regards
IL.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 7 months ago #13799

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
This page from a book was used on eBay recently to provide information on a Queensland recipient's medals.

Does anyone recognise the book?

With thanks
David

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 7 months ago #13803

• LinneyI
  • Away
David
I think it is a page of Bill Woolmore's "The Bushveld Carbineers and the Pietersburg Light Horse" published 2002. I don't have the ISBN number.
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.471 seconds