Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 9 months ago #13078

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527
I have added a new book to the site this morning. It is called

Ten Months in the Field with the Boers

By An Ex-Lieutenant of General de Villebois-Mareuil

Published by William Heinemann, London, 1901

www.angloboerwar.com/books/160-anon-ten-...89-anon-introduction

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 9 months ago #13093

• Wombat
  • Thank you received: 15
I have only just found this thread, so I apologise if this book has been mentioned before.

An old friend of mine who has sadly passed away continually raved about the book "Heidelbergers Of The Boer War" By Ian Uys. In 1991 I finally got a copy off my son for Christmas, and the nice thing was that it was signed for me.

The story is told from the perspective of the Heidelbergers themselves,and is fascinating reading. I have read it several times over the years, but have never managed to add one of their medals to my collection. (I am not touting for one, I'm merely stating a fact). Its an Excellent book.

Wombat,
James.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 9 months ago #13095

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
James

Like you, I have a copy of Ian Uys' book and, when I (now regretfully) disposed of the ABO's in my collection, I kept only two, one to a Heidelberger and the other to a man who went on to serve in the Heidelberg Commando after the war.

The latter, J E Nolte, rose to the rank of Captain and was killed in action in the 1914 Rebellion. Since the British Government regarded the Rebellion as a purely South African affair, men who served in it on the government side were not entitled to British World War I service medals. Most of the Heidelberg Commando went on to serve in the German South West Africa campaign, which did count as 'British', so the men were awarded the standard WWI trio of medals. I added such a trio to my Heidelberg section, as an adjunct Captain Nolte's ABO.

I have kept a space for a Heidelberg Commando ABO to a Burgher with an English surname. I once tried for one to a Churchill, but that went elsewhere. I have not given up hope of finding another one.

Regards
Brett

Attachments:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 8 months ago #13183

• Wombat
  • Thank you received: 15
Very nice Heidelberger medals Brett.

At the moment I am re-reading "Thank God We Kept The Flag Flying"
By Kenneth Griffith.
It is always interesting to read an opinion looking at events from a different angle. I must say that I really enjoy reading this book, and am doing so again.
In the past I always had an interest in the Boer War, but of late my interest had narrowed to a particular field. (SJAB Oldham corps). Since joining this forum, I have found a renewed interest in general, so I am going back through the dusty book shelf.
I think the next book in line will be, "With Rimington" By L. March Phillipps. Published in 1901.
James.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 8 months ago #13340

• boerwarenthusiast
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
hello everyone,

i'm a uni student and looking into writing my dissertation on the Anglo Boer War's and its relationship with fiction/literature. This site has been smashing in helping with that!

but have just discovered a great little free ebook that is being promoted called 'Zachariah: The Boer Diamond' by first time author Malcolm Colley - (another passionate BoerWar-er) and thought it was worth putting on here for discussion/just for you all to have a look.

It's been pretty great at helping me get a feel for the war, and the fictitious nature has allowed for some great character development/voice which I thought was massively helpful.

anyway, here's the link.
www.amazon.co.uk/Zachariah-The-Boer-Diam...1&keywords=Zachariah

:)

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 8 months ago #13634

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
This morning, I bought the following book:

'The Anglo-Boer War
October 11th, 1899 - May 31st, 1902
An album of upwards of Five Hundred Photographic Engravings
Cape Town: Dennis Edward & Co.'

There is no publication date, but this copy has the inscription,'G S Campbell, Fort Beaufort*, 1/12/1904', so the dust had hardly settled when it appeared.
* Which is in the old Cape Colony.

It is an impressive collection of photographs, but spoilt by having them in no particular order and mostly only tersely captioned. However, I feel sure that anyone with an interest in the Boer War would find some pictures of particular significance to them. A cursory examination suggested that, as expected, most subjects have a British connection, while Canada, Australia and, to a lesser extent, New Zealand are well represented. South African units seem to been the least popular choice but, of course, the country is represented in almost all the photos.

Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.573 seconds