Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 7 months ago #13805

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527
Many thanks Ian.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 7 months ago #13808

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Earlier today, under the thread 'QSA's with the clasp Defence of Kimberley', there were several posts about the sufferings of the men wounded during the Boer War. This reminded me of the record kept by Nurse Kate Driver of her experiences at the Intombi Hospital during the Siege of Ladysmith. Her 'diary' was published by the Ladysmith Historical Society in 1978, with a revised edition following in 1994. She was a nurse attached to the Natal Volunteers and knew many of the men she nursed. The sadness it caused her when they died is very moving. What is most evident in this small book is the courage and perseverance of the nurses, who worked under the most awful conditions.

Their QSA's were a small reward and, it seems, grudgingly given as an afterthought by the War Office.

By contrast, the Natal Carbineers showed their gratitude to their Ladysmith nurses with a handsome silver presentation belt inscribed as follows:
"Presented by the Natal Carbineers to ............ in recognition of her great services to the men of the Regiment during the Siege of Ladysmith".
The Imperial Light Horse contributed towards a special brooch awarded to the Siege nurses, who cared for their sick and wounded.

Perhaps it was necessary to experience at first hand the care given by these nurses, and their sacrifices, to really appreciate their greatness.

Brett

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 7 months ago #14019

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
A new addition to my library.
I was lucky enough to find these for sale at the last medal fair I visited.
The K.O.Y.L.I. museum were selling off some books from their library to raise funds.
These were in a box with an "make us an offer" sign so I did and got them.
The Times History of the War in South Africa nearly complete apart from one volume :(
Insides are in very good condition considering the age, the maps are complete and the photographic plates still has the tissue paper protectors.
I am most impressed with the maps as they are very well detailed.
An added bonus as I thumbed through the pages were some original Times clippings relating to the particular chapters, I also found a hand written letter dated 1912.
These go to the top of my favourite books list :cheer:

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 7 months ago #14020

• coldstream
A few more books I have found on my travels.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 7 months ago #14022

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
There must be a conspiracy out there of some kind as I also have this set with the same volume missing Volume #5.....

But my copy has also a Volume #8 which has statistics and an index.....

Mike

coldstream wrote: A new addition to my library.

The Times History of the War in South Africa nearly complete apart from one volume :(

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 7 months ago #14023

• coldstream
Mike,
If I ever find two volume fives I will keep one for you, needle in a haystack comes to mind :ohmy:

QSAMIKE wrote: There must be a conspiracy out there of some kind as I also have this set with the same volume missing Volume #5.....

But my copy has also a Volume #8 which has statistics and an index.....

Mike

coldstream wrote: A new addition to my library.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.819 seconds