Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 4 months ago #15210

• Wombat
  • Thank you received: 15
At the moment I am reading "Goodbye Dolly Grey" By Rayne Kruger.
I have been collecting medals over 40 years now, and this book is certainly making me see things in a different light. I have to say I have not heard the Boer War described in quite this way before.
Does anyone know if this author is reliable with his facts, or does the book have a leaning more towards the story teller.
I am in no doubts about the bravery of the British soldier, and can even admire the Boer's for fighting for their belief's against superior numbers.
I am now half way, and I am enjoying the background that Rayne Kruger includes in his writing, that is usually omitted in other books I have read. I couldn't help wondering what other readers thought about this book.

Wombat,
James.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 4 months ago #15212

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Goodbye Dolly Grey was my brother's favourite book on the Boer War.
Dr David Biggins

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 4 months ago #15230

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
One of mine too! :)

djb wrote: Goodbye Dolly Grey was my brother's favourite book on the Boer War.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 4 months ago #15276

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Although Rayne Kruger is perhaps best known for 'Goodbye Dolly Grey', he was a remarkable man in other ways, especially after he left South Africa to settle in London, where he became a successful businessman. He died ten years ago, but his name lives on in London through his children and his wife, another South African, Prue Leith.

Brett

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 4 months ago #15287

• Frank Kelley
Hello Brett,
I have to say that I rather enjoyed his "The Devil's Discus" :woohoo: LOL, I think it was actually banned in Thailand! :)
Kind regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Although Rayne Kruger is perhaps best known for 'Goodbye Dolly Grey', he was a remarkable man in other ways, especially after he left South Africa to settle in London, where he became a successful businessman. He died ten years ago, but his name lives on in London through his children and his wife, another South African, Prue Leith.

Brett

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 4 months ago #15289

• Frank Kelley
Brett,
I forgot to ask you, did you actually know him, he would have spent alot of time in your country in the late 1950's.
I met him only once, but, I was only a small boy at the time. :(
Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.435 seconds