Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 months ago #16779

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4513
At Ian's suggestion, I have added the book by Major W T Reay, Australians in War .
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 months ago #16781

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
'Murray's' is available on DVD from Gould Genology. I am fortunate to have a reprint of the original publication that I purchased some years ago and has proved very useful over the years.

Cheers,

Jim

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 months ago #16988

• cockneytone
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Ladies &'Gents,

Just taken delivery of a new book published by Nicky Von Der Heyde, Field Guide to the Battlefields of South Africa, as well as battlefields of the 1st & 2nd Boer Wars it includes the Anglo Zulu War, Colonial & Frontier conflicts, Indigenous and Voortrekker Battles.

First impressions it looks like a little gem and I am currently using it to plan a 'little trip' later in the year!
Best wishes,
Laters
Scottie.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 2 months ago #17842

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Prompted by the recent thread on Moeller, I have added his diary 'Two years at the front with the Mounted Infantry' to the book section.

www.angloboerwar.com/books/163-moeller-t...the-mounted-infantry

It is a fascinating read and very sad at the end with the abrupt end to his entries.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 2 months ago #17883

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
A book has appeared on eBay which I have not seen before. It is called Glimpses of South Africa in Peace and War.

It is described by the seller as 'published weekly in serial form, & when complete will comprise the most magnificent collection of photographic reproductions of the British-Boer war & South Africa." Dominion pub, US, 16 p booklet (approx 9 1/4" x 12 1/4") with photos (Gordon Highlanders, Zulu warrior, etc) & illustrations (Elandslaagte, Battle of Ladysmith, & Playing the Boer Game, suitable for framing).

This a 16 page, weekly edition.

What is the quality of the pictures? How does it compare to other weekly publications such as B&W?

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 1 month ago #18351

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Everyone.....

I am in the middle of reading a manuscript about the Strathcona's Horse, I cannot give the title yet at the request of the author..... When published I will let everyone know what it is called and the name of the author and where you can get a copy.....

The reason that I writing is I have just finished a chapter entitled "The White Flag Incident and the Lynching of 6 Boer Commando's..... Very good chapter that fully debunks the story from all sides, Canadian, British and Boer..... There was a thread or section of a thread here that I am looking for and am unable to find can anyone put me on the right track.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.641 seconds