Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 months ago #16591

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
I have just added the information from Lt Col P L Murray's 'Official records of the Australian Military Contingents to the War in South Africa'.

The book of 614 pages is presented as individual units arranged by region. For all 6 regions there is an introduction. For 5 of the regions there is a file called 'Other' which contains a variety of information including officers' service, pension data, casualties etc.

The 63 files are in PDF format and are searchable from the main site index.

They files can be accessed from within the Books tab .
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen Bayley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 months ago #16595

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
David
Good work for putting "Murray" (as it is referred to here) on the site. For many years the book was simply unavailable to the average collector and then it was reprinted locally in the late 70's and my current working copy came off the N@MP list (otherwise no connection). In the preface to "Murray", it is interesting to note that the compiler used sections of Stirling's "The Colonials in South Africa". When doing some research, I would refer to both.
Regards
IL.

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 months ago #16596

• Stephen Bayley
  • Thank you received: 32
Another big Thank You from another subscriber living in the colonies. Been looking to read this for sometime so no excuses now. Thanks for the early Xmas pressie. As it is said in Oz "Have a good one". Cheers Stephen
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 months ago #16605

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Ian, Stephen,

Are there any other accounts of Australian troops that we should try to add to the site?

I must do some wok on the NZ side as there is very little on these men.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 months ago #16618

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
David
No there is not much. There was one in my old library by Reay: "Australians in War" (The Australian Regiment from Melbourne to Bloemfontein). Have not seen a copy of that for ages. Another one I have heard of but not seen is "War In South Africa - with a history of the Australian contingents" by Donald McDonald. Re our KIWI mates, there are a couple I have heard of: "On active Service in SA with the Silent Sixth"by J.Linklater (diary of B sqn, 6th NZMR), and "In Memory of NZ's Sons Fallen in SA" by Maj.Gen.Mcdonald.
There are a couple of more recent books still in copyright (I suppose) and I have found them useful on occasion: "The Forgotten War" By L.Field ISBN
0 522 84655 6 and "Southern Cross Scots" by J.Price ISBN 0 9593701 2X. This one deals with Aust and NZ participation in the Scottish Horse. Probably more useful for any interested forum members to know that they exist.
If ever the many and various country newspapers here from the time of the ABW ever get digitised, that would be a source for the patient.
Hope this helps - probably not much.
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 10 years 3 months ago #16621

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
That is helpful Ian, thank you. I'll have a look for those out of copyright books.

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.811 seconds