Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

City of Ottawa, Welcome Home Tribute Locket 1900 1 year 8 months ago #84956

• GordonC
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Gentlemen,
I have one of these lockets in my collection. It is named to G L Dore. The locket contains a picture of two women and would appear to be a mother and daughter. The locket is attached to a gold watch with the following dedication " Presented to G L Dore Canadian Mounted Rifles for services, South Africa 1900 from Friends of Manotick & Vicinity. The watch was retailed by A. Rosenthal. It has a Longenes movement and the case was made by the American Watch Company in 14 carat gold. G L D is engraved on the back of the case of the watch but is barely visible due to wear. His full name is George Launchberry Dore. His regimental number is 85. He is entitled to a four bar QSA - Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Cape Colony, Orange Free State. He was "slightly wounded" on 28 May 1900. His regimental file and his application for a land grant are available at the LAC.

Regards,

Gordon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

City of Ottawa, Welcome Home Tribute Locket 1900 1 year 8 months ago #84957

• GordonC
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Gentlemen,
To add to my last post. Dore was wounded at Klip River. His QSA and his rifle at a local museum in Kelowna BC. Dore was renowned contractor in Kelowna and several heritage buildings he built still stand. He died in 1971. Here is a newspaper clipping about the locket.

Regards,

Gordon

Sorry but I am unable to load my newspaper article. I'v made it very small but it is still not acceptable to the site.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.327 seconds