Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kimberley Stars 8 years 6 months ago #43243

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
Very interesting Star. At the Mayor's presentation in Kimberley on 15 April 1901 the first recipient was Cecil Rhodes, who certainly didn't receive a QSA, followed by the nurses who had served during the siege.

Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kimberley Stars 8 years 6 months ago #43256

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Justin
Cecil J Rhodes certainly did receive a QSA with clasp DofK. David's book on the siege records the issue and that he was created Colonel of the KLH and Kimberley Regt.
Regards
IL.

Kimberley Stars 8 years 6 months ago #43259

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
Thanks Iain. I happily stand corrected. Does David's book also cover the 100-odd no-bar QSA's to Kimberley residents about which David Willis wrote an article some 20 years ago? Justin

LinneyI wrote: Justin
Cecil J Rhodes certainly did receive a QSA with clasp DofK. David's book on the siege records the issue and that he was created Colonel of the KLH and Kimberley Regt.
Regards
IL.

Kimberley Stars 8 years 6 months ago #43262

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Justin
David's book records the 75 no-clasp QSAs awarded to the KTG (non-enrolled). I am unaware of the David Willis article. You should get a copy of David's book.
Regards
IL.

Kimberley Stars 8 years 6 months ago #43292

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Cecil John Rhodes, sadly, never received the QSA and clasp that he had earned and was clearly entitled to, the medal and clasp only being issued on the 2nd of December 1903 from WO100/255, as Honorary Colonel of his own regiment, as he had died the year before.
Had he done so, I think he would certainly have worn it on occasion.

JustinLDavies wrote: Thanks Iain. I happily stand corrected. Does David's book also cover the 100-odd no-bar QSA's to Kimberley residents about which David Willis wrote an article some 20 years ago? Justin

LinneyI wrote: Justin
Regards
IL.

Kimberley Stars 8 years 6 months ago #43293

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
Rhodes' QSA is in Zimbabwe. There is a very blurred photo of it I once saw on another forum. If I find it I'll post it.

I famously penned a letter to Robert Mugabe asking him if he would have any objections, seeing as he wasn't in the slightest interested in his country's colonial past, to passing the medal on to me for safe-keeping where it would be appreciated.

I incurred the wrath of some who viewed me as being opportunistic and said as much publicly. I never did receive a reply to my letter....

Regards

Rory

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.396 seconds