Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kimberley Stars 8 years 7 months ago #43151

• dunnboer
  • dunnboer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 363
You are right, it is KBV. A sign of my failing eyesight and failure to look at my own scan. My apologies! I still do not have any idea who or what it stands for. Joseph Albert Bodley seems an excellent suggestion.Adrian. The seven male siblings do not include the other 5 Bodleys on the QSA roll, namely A Bodley, C Bodley, G Bodley, J H Bodley, and Percy Graham Bodley so there must have been several Bodley families in Kimberley during the siege. I have found a Bodley family tree on Geni so will contact the descendant and see if he knows anything about Joseph Albert and the siege.

Thank you for the help

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kimberley Stars 8 years 7 months ago #43162

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good heavens, I'd actually almost forgotten how attractive Kimberley Stars are, those are both lovely untouched examples, I always like to see the little lions on the silver suspension rings, really nice to see, the top brooch is so often missing these days, I remember we used to be awash with them here and they could be bought for under £100, sadly, not the case these days, I wonder what KBV was?

dunnboer wrote: I purchased 2 a hallmark stars from the last City Coins auction but both are puzzling in different ways. One is named J. A. Bodley on both the top brooch and the reverse.

There is no J. A. Bodley on the medal roll although there were 4 other Bodleys in the KTG and Captain J H Bodley in the KRV. Was it possible to get the Star without being entitled to the QSA?

The other star is engraved KRV on the brooch bar. What does this stand for? I'm guessing Kimberley and volunteers but what is the "R" for?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Paul

Kimberley Stars 8 years 7 months ago #43163

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Morning Everyone......

Correct me if I am wrong, and I know these were supposed to be issued to military defenders, but did they not issue some to civilians who had performed some sort of service.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Kimberley Stars 8 years 7 months ago #43168

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
To those interested
David's book tells us that the qualification for the Mayor's Star was service "for a period on ninety days between October 1 1899 and February 28, 1900". However, David's book also tells us that at the presentation of the Stars - recorded in the press of 16 April 1901 - the Mayor had stated a Board of Officers had been formed to consider and decide upon applications from those who had only served a short period or had done good service in other respects. And a great proportion of those Stars had been issued.
I always liked the KStar and - upon my "re-entry" to the field - a pair/group containing the Mayor's Star was a priority!
Regards to all
IL.

Kimberley Stars 8 years 7 months ago #43189

• dunnboer
David also states in his book that "It is not possible to say whether awards were made to people who did not receive the QSA, for example unattached civilians." I have received the following reply from Joseph John Vogler a descendant of Joseph Albert Bodley who it seems likely was the recipient of my Star:-

Thanks for your letter via Geni re JA Bodley.
I’m pleased to learn that his Medal still exists and even more so that it’s now safe in a collection.
For many years I’ve been trying to locate it plus those that were awarded to three brothers of JA Bodley but without success – it was a long time ago now and those family members are obviously long gone and details lost to later generations.
The initials JA are for Joseph Albert who was born in Grahamstown on 13 October 1873 and died on 9 October 1939. He spent most of his life in Kimberley after the Bodley family moved there in the early days of the diggings where they successfully established and owned a business R Bodley and Son – Joseph Albert was the Son and brother to my maternal grandfather.
Joseph Albert Bodley married Laura Mashford in 1898 and they had seven children.
The family like most Kimberley inhabitants served in the defense of Kimberley during the siege at the time of the Boer War, thus mayor Oliver was instrumental in the award of the Kimberley Star to private citizens and as well as members of the military although I understand it could not be worn by those in uniform.
My records show that some of the Bodley men belonged to the Diamond Fields Horse at the time of the Boer War – it’s possible that Joseph Albert was one of them.
I trust this is of some use to you and if I can be of further help please contact me.

Sincerely,

R Bodley and Son were an undertakers and as he doesn't appear on the KTG (or any other roll) I do not think he was in the DFH during the siege. This named Kimberley Star perhaps provides objective evidence that it was awarded to non-attached civilians.

Paul

Kimberley Stars 8 years 7 months ago #43236

• dunnboer
I have had further communication with Joseph Bodley's descendant:-

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your letter re J A Bodley / Kimberley Star
Yes, the Bodleys you show are of the same family but through two marriages.
This is how it looks:
Joseph Bodley 1825-1883 born in London died in Kimberley.

2 children from 1st marriage:
Robert 1845-1917 born London died Kimberley
Elizabeth 1847-1894 born London died Grahamstown

15 children from 2nd marriage:
These are the sons who are of interest here:
Joseph Horatio 1866-1930 born at Kowie died in Kimberley
George Ernest 1861(67) – 1938 born at Kowie died in the Orange Free State
Percy Graham 1875 -1951 born in Kimberley died in Pretoria

Robert Bodley [above]
13 children and the sons of interest were:
Charles William 1870-1921 born in Grahamstown died in Kimberley
Joseph Albert 1873-1939 born/died as above
Arthur Robert 1881-1937 born in Kimberley died in Johannesburg

Yes, R Bodley & Son established 1873 were funeral undertakers who during the siege had the military contract for burials at Kimberley. The business was finally sold in 1976 having been owned continuously by the Bodley family for five generations.

Thanks, I would appreciate a photo of the medal and yes I do have a photo of J A Bodley taken at my parents wedding in 1937. It’s probably easier if you let me have your email address and I’ll send it direct to you.

Regards,

So it appears all the Bodley's on the medal roll were related and my Star To Joseph Albert Bodley was given for providing undertaking services to the military.

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.036 seconds