Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Medals to Lumsden's Horse.

Medals to Lumsden's Horse. 3 years 10 months ago #43994

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 798
As promised, sorry forgot to post yesterday, things look rather more colourful than last week, the wreaths from the Gallipoli centenary looked a little faded.
I made arrangement for the same at Repton and he was remembered there too.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, LinneyI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Lumsden's Horse. 3 years 10 months ago #44003

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 798
In 1920 the Parochial Church Council was set up here in Alderley, at one of it's first meetings, this war memorial was approved, it was designed by Hubert Worthington and actually erected at the east end of the church by Masseys.
Before subsequently being handed over to the Urban District Council, it was unveiled on the 29th of April 1922, interestingly, by William Bromley Davenport, in his capacity as Cheshire's Lord Lieutenant, a veteran of the Anglo Boer War, he had received the DSO for his tenure with number 6 Squadron 4th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry, I suspect he was an ardent imperialist, on the occasion of destroying a particular enemy farm, he said;

"There was a woman there, very fat and unpardonably ugly, I felt no pity for her whatsoever, the women here, are worse than the men and should be made to suffer with them"

Medals to Lumsden's Horse. 1 year 9 months ago #56513

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1497

Picture courtesy of Spink

DSO VR
QSA (3) CC OFS Joh (Capt. J. B. Rutherford, Lumsdens Horse);
Volunteer Force Long Service, Ed VII (Captn: J. B. Rutherford, D.S.O., Behar Lt. Horse.),

DSO London Gazette 19 April 1901: ‘In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa.’

John Brownley Rutherford was born in October 1864 and commissioned into the Behar Light Horse. He was one of 54 men of the unit who served in the Boer War attached to Lumsden’s Horse in 1900. Following the announcement of his appointment to the Distinguished Service Order, he was invested with the insignia by the Lieutenant Governor of Bengal in 1902. Rutherford is recorded as having died in India.

Spink describe this as a 'unique award to the Behar Light Horse for South Africa.'
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.546 seconds