Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

City Coins 11 years 4 weeks ago #10173

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
Medals to the old 45th used to turn up quite often here, I'm going back to the 1990's but the main problem with this medal has always been condition, never easy to get an NEF/EF example, the result of that was, back then, for me at least, I now realise that I turned down a great many really good medals.
Of course, there is in effect two medal rolls for this medal, the roll from which the medals to serving recipients were issued, then the roll from which the pensioners medals were issued, moreover, this latter, often gives much more information too.
Kind regards Frank

An interesting recipient for you might be this man for example, Private John Davis 45th who had his medal "delivered to him" on the 20th of July 1857, moreover, this particular medal was "purchased for the regimental collection" of the 1st Battalion Sherwood Foresters by its officer commanding on the 1st of August 1934.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

City Coins 11 years 4 weeks ago #10175

• Frank Kelley
Rather :angry: to hear that Jacob has removed a VC.

Brett Hendey wrote: Henk

Ovens' medal was my first choice as well. He was involved in a very obscure action by British standards, but it was an epic event in Natal's history.

Ovens' medal was a 'once-in-a-lifetime' chance, so I will now have to content myself with the continuing search for SA 1853 Medal to the 45th Regiment, which was the first British regiment to garrison the newly-proclaimed Colony of Natal in 1843. Forty two British regiments garrisoned Fort Napier in Pietermaritzburg between 1843 and 1914, and the 45th had the distinction being the first and for the longest period (1843-1859).

The Durban suburb of Sherwood and a highway feature, 45th Cutting, commemorate the 45th Regiment, and they have so far escaped the attention of Jacob's Renaming Police, a fate that has already befallen NMR Avenue and Edwin Swales VC Drive.

Regards
Brett

City Coins 11 years 3 weeks ago #10183

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
Brett

The last time we drove past the 45th Cutting Memorial in the cutting, it was covered in grafitti :angry:

I believe "Soldiers Way" has also been re-named?

Brian

City Coins 11 years 3 weeks ago #10203

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
There have been 96 street name changes in Durban. The ones mentioned earlier are:
NMR Avenue - Masabalala Yengwa Avenue
Edwin Swales VC Drive - Solomon Mahlangu Drive

A few more with military links:
Old Fort Road - K E Masinga Road
Old Fort Place - Archie Gumede Place
Dartnell Crescent - Gladys Manzi Road
Jan Smuts Highway - King Cetshwayo Highway

Fortunately, I do not have to bother with these names as I remain holed up on the outskirts of the city mainly immersed in matters relating to Colonial Natal.

Brett

City Coins 11 years 3 weeks ago #10204

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
I would not worry about name changes if I were you.It's not worth stressing about.

It's only politics. These things evolve continuosly and within a few years the names will change again. If the ANC is dumped out of etekweni and the DA take control there will again be changes of that there is no doubt. It's the African way!!

The streets will however, always be known as and referred to by their original names by the majority of the educated population.

Cheers
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

City Coins 11 years 3 weeks ago #10205

• Frank Kelley
Gentlemen,
Does anybody know (or indeed care?) who "KE" "Archie" and "Gladys" actually are or were?

Brett Hendey wrote: There have been 96 street name changes in Durban. The ones mentioned earlier are:
NMR Avenue - Masabalala Yengwa Avenue
Edwin Swales VC Drive - Solomon Mahlangu Drive

A few more with military links:
Old Fort Road - K E Masinga Road
Old Fort Place - Archie Gumede Place
Dartnell Crescent - Gladys Manzi Road
Jan Smuts Highway - King Cetshwayo Highway

Fortunately, I do not have to bother with these names as I remain holed up on the outskirts of the city mainly immersed in matters relating to Colonial Natal.

Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.006 seconds