Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Private 4241 William McDonald 9th Lancers 4 years 9 months ago #64142

• Mikky
  • Mikky's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 13
Private 4241 William McDonald enlisted in the 12th Lancers in 1897, before transferring to the 9th Lancers in 1898. Born in Aberfeldy, Perthshire. He served in the South African War receiving the Queen's Medal with clasps "Belmont" "Modder River" the "Relief of Kimberley" and Paaderberg".

I am trying to find out exactly where he was killed in action, and where he is buried.

The Military History of Perthshire book says he was killed at Roodepoort, near Thabanchu, on the 24th of April, 1900.

There seem to be three entries on the page linked to, with conflicting information www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...queens-royal-lancers

MacDonald W 4241 Private Demise: Killed in action 24 Apr 1900 Place: Dewetsdorp Near Rooikop Source: In Memoriam by S Watt

McDonald W 4241 Private QSA (4). Killed in Action, Grootfontein, 24 Apr 00. Source: QSA medal rolls

McDonald W 4241 Private Killed in action. Grootfontein, 24 April 1900 Source: South African Field Force Casualty Roll

There are over 500 miles between Grootfontein and Dewetsdorp Near Rooikop.

Where was Pte McDonald killed, and where is he buried.

Regards Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private 4241 William McDonald 9th Lancers 4 years 9 months ago #64143

• Mikky
Looking into it a bit more, somewhere about Dewetsdorp Thabanchu seems likely, though there sre 26 miles even between them. Conan Doyle 's book appears to mention this "skirmish" archive.org/details/greatboerwar00sira/page/396

Would this be the incident, and were the 9th Lancers under John French?

Mike

Private 4241 William McDonald 9th Lancers 4 years 9 months ago #64144

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I would simply go with his entry in Watt, killed on the 24th of April, after exhumation at Albert's Post, subsequently interred at Dewetsdorp in a contemporary grave, marked with it's metal cross.

Mikky wrote: Private 4241 William McDonald enlisted in the 12th Lancers in 1897, before transferring to the 9th Lancers in 1898. Born in Aberfeldy, Perthshire. He served in the South African War receiving the Queen's Medal with clasps "Belmont" "Modder River" the "Relief of Kimberley" and Paaderberg".

I am trying to find out exactly where he was killed in action, and where he is buried.

The Military History of Perthshire book says he was killed at Roodepoort, near Thabanchu, on the 24th of April, 1900.

There seem to be three entries on the page linked to, with conflicting information www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...queens-royal-lancers

MacDonald W 4241 Private Demise: Killed in action 24 Apr 1900 Place: Dewetsdorp Near Rooikop Source: In Memoriam by S Watt

McDonald W 4241 Private QSA (4). Killed in Action, Grootfontein, 24 Apr 00. Source: QSA medal rolls

McDonald W 4241 Private Killed in action. Grootfontein, 24 April 1900 Source: South African Field Force Casualty Roll

There are over 500 miles between Grootfontein and Dewetsdorp Near Rooikop.

Where was Pte McDonald killed, and where is he buried.

Regards Mike

Private 4241 William McDonald 9th Lancers 4 years 9 months ago #64145

• Mikky
"I would simply go with his entry in Watt, so after exhumation at Albert's Post, subsequently interred at Dewetsdorp in a contemporary grave, marked with it's metal cross."

Many thanks for the reply Frank. Excuse my not knowingbut what is "Watt" and where do you find thi information re "Albert's Post"?

Mike

Private 4241 William McDonald 9th Lancers 4 years 9 months ago #64146

• Frank Kelley
The Delhi Spearmen were part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade in French's Cavalry Division, certainly from memory, at least, after they were engaged at Brandfort at the end of March, the regiment went east from Bloemfontein and skirmished at both Dewetsdorp and Springhaan's Nek, so in terms of a time frame, you would certainly be in the "ball park"

quote="Mikky" post=64143]Looking into it a bit more, somewhere about Dewetsdorp Thabanchu seems likely, though there sre 26 miles even between them. Conan Doyle 's book appears to mention this "skirmish" archive.org/details/greatboerwar00sira/page/396

Would this be the incident, and were the 9th Lancers under John French?

Mike[/quote]

Private 4241 William McDonald 9th Lancers 4 years 9 months ago #64147

• Frank Kelley
In memoriam by S Watt, seventh line down in your original post.

Sorry I just assumed you must have seen it, anyway,, past my bedtime, so I'll bid you good night

Mikky wrote:
Many thanks for the reply Frank. Excuse my not knowingbut what is "Watt" and where do you find thi information re "Albert's Post"?

Mike

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikky

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.900 seconds