Search Options:
Records per Page:

 Surname   Forename   No   Rank   Notes   Unit 
GlasheenWReceived the Mediterranean Medal
5th Battalion
Source: Medal roll WO100 368
Royal Munster Fusiliers
GlashierG29490SapperTransferred to Provisional Company 4 Aug 1902. Discharged. QSA (3) sent 11 Mar 1903 and KSA sent 24 Aug 1903.


TNA ref 156/41; 313/91
Royal Engineers, Railway Company, 10th
GlasierC HSource: WO100/225St John Ambulance Brigade
GlasockH33286DriverWounded. Diamond Hill, 11 June 1900
Source: South African Field Force Casualty Roll
Q Battery, RHA
GlasockH33286DriverWounded. Sannah's Post, 31 March 1900
Source: South African Field Force Casualty Roll
Q Battery, RHA
GlasockHorace HenryPrivateGLASOCK, HORACE HENRY, Driver, served in the South African Campaign of 1899-1002, and was awarded the Victoria Cross [London Gazette, 20 June, 1900]: 'Horace Henry Glasock, Driver, Q Battery, Royal Horse Artillery.  Date of Act of Bravery: 31 March, 1300.  On the occasion of the action at Korn Spruit on the 31st March, 1900, a British force, including two batteries of the Royal Horse Artillery, was retiring from Thabanchu towards Bloemfontein.  The enemy had formed an ambush at Korn Spruit, and before their presence was discovered by the main body had captured the greater portion of the baggage column and five out of the six guns of the leading battery.  When the alarm was given, Q Battery, Royal Horse Artillery, was within three hundred yards of the spruit.  Major Phipps-Hornby, who commanded it, at once wheeled about, and moved off at a gallop under a very heavy fire.  One gun was upset when the wheel horse was shot, and had to be abandoned, with another waggon, the horses of which were killed.  The remainder of the battery reached a position close to some unfinished railway buildings, and came into action 1,150 yards from the spruit, remaining in action until ordered to retire.  When the order to retire was received, Major Phipps-Hornby ordered the guns and their limbers to be run back by hand to where the team of uninjured horses stood behind the unfinished buildings.  The few remaining gunners, assisted by a number of officers and men of a party of mounted infantry, and directed by Major Phipps-Hornby and Captain Humphreys, the only remaining officers of the battery, succeeded in running back four of the guns under shelter.  One or two of the limbers were similarly withdrawn by hand, but the work was most severe and the distance considerable.  In consequence all concerned were so exhausted that they were unable to drag in the remaining limbers or the fifth gun.  It now became necessary to risk the horses, and volunteers were called for from among the drivers, who readily responded.  Several horses were killed and men wounded, but at length only one gun and one limber were left exposed.  Four separate attempts were made to rescue these, but when no more horses were available, the attempt had to be given up and the gun and limber were abandoned.  Meanwhile the other guns had been sent on one at a time, and after passing within seven or eight hundred yards of the enemy, in rounding the head of a donga and crossing two spruits, they eventually reached a place of safety, where the battery was reformed.  After full consideration of the circumstances of the case, the Field-Marshal Commanding-in-Chief in South Africa formed the opinion that the conduct of all ranks of Q Battery, Royal Horse Artillery, was conspicuously gallant and daring, but that all were equally devoted in their behaviour.  He therefore decided to treat the case of the battery as one of collective gallantry, under Rule 13 of the Victoria Cross Warrant, and directed that one officer should be selected for the decoration of the Victoria Cross by the officers, one non-commissioned officer by the non-commissioned officers, and two gunners or drivers by the gunners and drivers.  A difficulty arose with regard to the officer, owing to the fact that there were only two unwounded officers—Major Phipps-Hornby and Captain Humphreys—available for the work of saving the guns, and both of these had been conspicuous by their gallantry and by the fearless manner in which they exposed themselves, and each of them nominated the other for the decoration.  It was ultimately decided in favour of Major Phipps-Hornby as having been the senior concerned.  Charles Parker, Sergeant, was elected by the non-commissioned officers as described above.  Isaac Lodge, Gunner, and Horace Henry Glasock, Driver, were elected by the gunners and drivers as described above'.  Glasock's name was at first spelt “Glassock”.  This was corrected in the London Gazette, 6 July, 1900.  'Memorandum, 6 July, 1900 — The name of Driver Horace Harry Glasoek, Q Battery, Royal Horse Artillery, the grant to whom of the Victoria Cross was notified in the London Gazette of the 26th June, 1900, is as now, and not as therein stated'.  He was discharged from the Royal Horse Artillery 25 January 1911. 
Source: VC recipients (VC and DSO book)
Q Battery, RHA
GlasonClemSource: WO100/283King Williamstown TG
GlasonGSource: QSA and KSA rollsProvisional Mounted Police
GlasonI1st Battalion
Source: Medal rolls
Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadia
GlasonW PSource: WO100/286Uitenhage TG
GlassA2nd Battalion
Source: QSA and KSA medal rolls
Bedfordshire Regiment
GlassASource: QSA and KSA medal rollsSouth African Constabulary
GlassAlexander John1PrivateSource: OZ-Boer databaseQueensland, 3rd Mounted Infantry Contingent
GlassArthur Ernest7487PrivateSource: QSA Medal Rolls36th Company, 9th Btn, IY
GlassBertram107TrooperSource: Nominal roll in WO127Utrecht-Vryheid Mounted Police
Page 14455 of 43055
<<First <Prev 14448 14449 14450 14451 14452 14453 1445414455 14456 14457 14458 14459 14460 14461 14462 Next> Last>>